Today’s Minds, Shaping Tomorrow’s World

Students of the YCLC working on a collaboration of a video for the middle school in our new Learning Collaboratory

Have you ever wondered how social justice issues are being addressed in the Baldwin community? The answer lies right here in our own highschool. The Youth Change Leader Collaborative , or YCLC for short, is an organization in our school that focuses on the social justice issues in our society. YCLC is a collaboration of students, teachers, school leaders, and community members dedicated to paving the way for a new generation of change. Within the organization there are four different groups all focused on different social justice issues. The four groups are focused on Climate Justice, Immigration Policy Reform, Health Equity, and Gun Violence Prevention. In addition to those four groups, there is a group titled the Documentarians’ whose purpose is to not only advertise the YCLC brand, but to inspire students who are also passionate about making a change in their community. The YCLC is not like any other school organization, it has four primary goals which include,
1) Mentor students on civic engagement through research and authentic experiences
2) Provide networking opportunities for students and community members
3) Help students develop skills needed for post-secondary plans created by the student leaders
4) Support Baldwin High School in their participation in the Anti-Defamation League’s No Place for Hate Initiative

Each group includes 1-4 field experts/mentors, 2-4 Senior Student Leaders, and 2-4 Junior and Sophomore Student Leaders. Each group works on independent projects that may entail research, field work, or community service events that relate to their social justice issue. Recently the Gun Violence Prevention group visited The Baldwin Middle School to talk to students about social justice and how they can help make a change in the community. Senior members Tyler Rodriguez, Rochelle Saunders, Trevon Thompson, Jessica Darcy, Junior members, Maekyla Massey, Jordan Hall, Gabriella Najdek, Reyna Palmer, Thalia Konteleon, and Sophomore member Chloe Grogan talked directly to students about different social justice topics such as Women’s Rights, LGBTQIA + rights, and taught them through engaging activities where they all participated in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zAnq_dB92A Right now the YCLC is full in capacity of members but wants to encourage upcoming Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors to join the YCLC next year. The students of the YCLC want to make a positive change in the community and society by collaborating and educating others. Every person in society can and may be affected by these issues in their life, that is why the YCLC believe it is important to be the support that can help those in need. If you are interested in learning more about the YCLC, go to room 618 and see Dr. Franza to learn more.