Meet Ms. Franza

Ms. Franza is new to Baldwin this year

Ms. Franza is new to Baldwin this year

On December 15,2021 I interviewed Ms.Franz, Assistant Director of Instructional Programs,  about the Work Based Learning program that she runs in the school.

Question: What is the work based learning program?

Mrs. Franza – There’s many layers to it.  One of them is that if a student wants to have an internship or have a job opportunity, they are able to utilize the school to get access to a lot of those opportunities. Through the business department there are work based learning teachers, including myself, to help students find internships and job opportunities. If it’s related to what they are doing for their course work they can actually get credits for it, so it’s a good thing to put on their transcript.

Question: What do you hope students will learn while getting involved in the Work Based Learning Program?

Ms. Franza – A lot of times when you leave high school you have to navigate the outside world, you need a lot of skills in order to do that. I love what’s happening in the classroom, and there’s a lot of skills being learned there. There’s a lot of tools you can get from interacting and working in the community and businesses, like seeing what a doctor or lawyer does hands on. It’s called experiential learning. Learning those abilities are super useful post high school and for your secondary goals.

Question: Why is it important for students to get involved with internships and job opportunities?

Ms. Franza – The job market and getting into college is very competitive these days. And I truly mean this and I think Baldwin has truly the best students I’ve ever seen and I’ve been in places all over New York City and Long Island. Having these experiences gives you a leg up when it comes down to college and getting a job, networking, and being able to speak on the experiences you have. It can help you get where you want to be.

Question: Is the work based learning program open to all students?

Ms. Franza – Yes, anyone who is interested in getting a job opportunity or internship. There are some copyouts like, for some jobs, you have to be sixteen or older. But if you still want a job, we can work on building your resume and working on volunteer opportunities so when you are sixteen you are ready to go.

Question: What would you say to a student who is interested in being involved but is still unsure?

Ms .Franza – Just, don’t be afraid to have a conversation, and be open. If you’re not able or too busy to get an internship, just getting an idea of what you want for yourself after high school is really important. But you don’t have to know your exact career because you’re gonna change a lot. Knowing what you want to do and don’t want to do are things you should start checking now.